Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Put the shoes down, and walk away slowly

**Updated with a really crappy pic from my cell phone. The one that I sent my husband :) **


Or quickly in my case, so that I don't change my mind and do something I shouldn't!

Ok a little background.

I went to Target today to get another tub for our Christmas decorations. I had plenty of time so I'm just moseying around the departments. I end up in the shoe department - who wouldn't! There's been this one pair of shoes that I've been coveting for the past month or so and I always check if they're are on clearance. The last few times I've seen them they have been but out of the 3 stores in town I hadn't been able to find my size. I'm not really a big shoe person. But every once in awhile I find a pair (or 2) that I love so much it's hard for me to think of much else. These fell into that category. They weren't flats but they didn't have TOO much of a heel either. They had a little ruffle on the toe (cuter than it sounds) and they were MUSTARD YELLOW! A color that I've become rather obsessed with lately as you can tell by my background.
So anyway, I'm wandering up and down the aisles and in the non-clearance section I come up some ballet flats. And they're zebra print. I love me some zebra print. Tastefully done of course. And these were like a metallicky glittery type (again WAY cuter than it sounds) so that they take on the color of what you're wearing. My brown shirt created a brown tinge but my purple sweater created a more purpley tone. Get my drift? And then the price. Regular price remember? Only $12.99!!!!! I just love Target.
They immediately go into the cart. And instead of exiting the shoe department (like a good girl) I continue to browse the clearance aisles.
Right away I see the mustard yellow adorableness but they were all size 7 1/2. So not my size! I start to give up but then see one more glimpse of mustard yellow at the end of the aisle. I kid you not these babies were sent from heaven because they were a size 9! Just what I needed! And they were on clearance for $13.98, down from 19.99.
Now the dilemma. Two pairs of shoes. Maybe to some of you there would be no dilemma. $30 for TWO incredibly adorable pairs of shoes? Both very comfortable and versatile so you know you're going to get your money's worth. Such a screamin' deal.
Well, I'm just not that person. Maybe I was at some point, maybe I will be again some day. But not today.
You see, as you may recall, we are a one income family. Which makes are budget a little bit tighter than others. Don't get me wrong. We are in the best financial position of our lives and we do live quite comfortably. My husband is really not a strict bread winner. He rarely denies me my hearts desire (a $1000 camera, or say a BABY is just a bit too much :) ).
When I sent him a text "asking permission" to buy the shoes, his reply was "I'll leave it up to you" GAH!!! See what I mean?
But like I said we are but one income. An income that comes in ONCE a month. That's it. We usually have David's paychecks earmarked before we even get them, because we like to plan ahead. We know we will get to enjoy the money. We know we have all that we need. But we do still have to be careful.
We're going out of town for the day this weekend. Gas, event tickets, lunch, dinner, babysitter, merchandise. That spending is all earmarked so that we can have a good time. Not that I think this $30 splurge would've broke the bank. I just don't think it would have been the most wise or necessary decision. Capish?
So when it comes to an unexpected glorious and very reasonably priced gift from the Target gods. Sometimes you just have to put it back.









Well not BOTH of them! These little babies did make it home with me today. I just can't say no to fate :)

These other beauties will have to sit and wait. Till next time (my birthday is next month you know). And who knows, maybe they'll be even cheaper!

*sorry blogger isn't letting me upload the pictures. so click on the links to see the cuteness!*

7 comments:

alyssa said...

Hahaha, i loved this story!!! Maybe because it was about shoes...OR...because I have wanted those same exact yellow shoes for a while now!!! I'm not sure why I haven't bought them yet. I think I was scared about the buckle thing. Now I REALLY want them!! :) I wear a size 9 too...so you probably took the last one! hahaha.

i dont care said...

i LOVE the ones you went home with! TOO CUTE!

misguidedmommy said...

i cant even handle the target shoe section. last time i went near it, i shit you not i had four FOUR pairs of shoes in my cart and they werent even on sale.

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM.

Worse is that I had to put them all back which left me SOOOOOO SAD!

I love your orange ones though. I got the cutest pair of orange heels from payless once.

Lisa said...

OK I need those yellow shoes... and I wear a 7 1/2

Cheeziemommie said...

go for it girl! the target on ming :) I swear there were at least 5 pairs of that size!

See Sherm Blog said...

CUTE!! Love the yellow ones you ended up getting! Such restraint you showed! I'm impressed. Seriously.

Unknown said...

Okay those yellow shoes are so amazingly adorable.. I may need to pay a visit to Target very soon