Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hey Good Lookin' Whatcha Got Cookin'?

My family is in a serious menu rut and as resident Suzy Homemaker I take FULL responsibility! First of all I rarely cook these days, we either eat out or eat whatevers - i.e. whatever you can grab. Second of all, what I DO cook is the samo samo every week - one night it's spaghetti, then tacos, then chicken lalas, then bbq chicken. SAME THINGS ALL THE TIME! And finally whatever I do cook, my kids don't eat. Well a few things they do. But MOSTLY they get whatevers and David and I scarf the meal we "slaved" over. I take fully responsibility for them not eating properly too - I'm pretty picky myself but who DOESN'T like spaghetti & tacos? Seriously! Which brings me to the point of this post.
I am totally overhauling and revamping our family menu to hopefully solve all 3 of the above problems. I pulled down alllllll my cookbooks and recipe magazines that I've accumulated over the past 8 years and I've been flipping through them and marking recipes that I think my family (or at least my husband and I) may enjoy. I've found quite a few so far that I'm really looking forward to testing out! I'll try and remember to post them here if they past the Gago Taste Test.
Now, all you faithful readers out there, would you be interested in helping a sista out with this lil project? What recipes do you love to cook/eat/share with your family? I'm not just talking about dinner recipes either. My kids will be home all summer and their lunch menu is in as much of a rut as our dinner menu! So breakfast, lunch, dinner recipes - lemme have em!!!
PLEASE :)

5 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

That's basically what are meals are like too. The same 'ole stuff every week. And I have no advice on recipes for kids... BUT I've been hearing a lot of things about a cookbook that is all healthy foods for kids, but they taste really good. Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote it. Here's the link...

http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

Not sure if you've heard about it. But they say the meals sneak in veggies and stuff that kids would otherwise not eat.

StepheLynne said...

I was totally just going to tell you about Jessica Seinfeld's book, but Colleen beat me to it! If I ever have kids, I'm going to use her sneaky methods, for sure!

Megan said...

hmmm lets see, we eat pork stroganoff(I have a really easy recipie, you can make it in as little as 30 min or let it cook for an hour and it has richer flavor) I make the kids pigs in a blanket with pilsbury crossonts and hotdogs, we buy the 99 cents pizza dough from winco and make our own pizza's that's a fun one, I have an easy peazy chicken parmisian and eggplant parmisian recipie, the only thing I make for breakfast is schmorne (sp?) its a german crepe sorta thing that is very sweet, the kids love it, we also do chili dogs as a folow up to home made crock pot turkey chili, good way to use left over's and the kids just eat the hotdogs......another favorite around here is sweet potato fries with a little brown sugar....I'll keep thinking, email me if you want any of the recipies!

Anonymous said...

My kids were always picky eaters and I hated thinking of what to cook so we ate a LOT of fastfood, spaghetti, tacos and tri tip.

I recently found www.savingdinner.com where you can download a lot of recipes as well as menu planning for the week etc. They have an inexpesive subscription svc but also offer a lot of free stuff. We've found some real keepers!

Oh and this is Christie's mom and Collen's Aunt. How's that for following random links from their blog pages!? :-)

Cheeziemommie said...

Thanks everyone for all your tips and suggestions! I really appreciate it! We've been trying some new recipes but still haven't found anything new that we ALL love. We'll keep trying though!